Chunky knitting is so addictive! I created these size 17 circular needles just for making chunky knit hats, and this was the first pattern that I knit with them! I was having trouble finding really chunky circular needles, and not wanting to do the magic loop method (it just does NOT work for me!) I decided to design some super chunky needles that are shorter, and perfect for making chunky beanies! Grab your own pair in my shop here!
Don’t forget to pin this pattern!
To make this pattern, you’ll just need to know how to knit in the round, purl, and decrease stitches (knit 2 together). Here’s the instructions to make your own super bulky beanie!
Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick & Quick (2 colors) (or any super bulky yarn)
US Size 13 Double pointed needles
Shop Tools & Supplies at Margo Knits
- Circular Knitting Needles 16inch Keep Calm and Cast On$12.99 – $17.99
- Faux Fur Pom Pom Dusty Pink$5.99
- Faux Fur Pom Pom Champagne$5.99
CO: Cast on
K : Knit
P : Purl
Pm : place marker
k2tog : Knit 2 together
P2tog : Purl 2 together
[color a] With Size 13 needles, co 48 sts, join in the round, pm
Rounds 1-2: [color a]*K2, P2, rep from * around
Rounds 3-4: [color b] *K2, P2, rep from * around
Switch to size 17 needles
Rounds 5-6: [color a] *K2, P2, rep from * around
Rounds 7-8: [color b] *K2, P2, rep from * around
Rep. until hat measures about 6”, ending with color b
- [color a]*K2, P2, K2, P2tog, rep from * around
- [color a]*K2, P2, K3
- [color b]*K2, P2, K1, K2tog, rep form * around
- [color b] *K2, P2, K2, rep from *
- [color a]*K2, P2, K2tog, rep. from *
- [color a]*K2, P2, K1, rep from *
- [color b] *K2, P1, K2tog, rep from *
- [color b] *K2, P1, K1, rep from *
- [color a] *K2, K2tog, rep from *
Cut yarn, and pull through all loops on needles. Weave in all ends, and attach pom pom.